unsplash

Wilmore and Lexington to host Halloween events

On Tuesday night, Main Street will be filled with trick-or-treaters looking to fill up their candy bags with sugary treats during the annual Treats on Main event.

“Main Street will be blocked from Subway to the tracks, and businesses, organizations and churches will hand out candy and prizes,” the Wilmore website said.

The event has been going on for over 30 years, and this year Amy Fitch, the Director

Wilmore Parks & Recreation expects a smaller crowd due to the colder weather. Usually, they have around 2,000 people, including parents, attend.

“It is a fun, safe, family-oriented event around Halloween.  The Wilmore community likes to come together and enjoy seeing everyone’s costumes on Main St.,” Fitch said. “Most of all, the businesses and churches along Main St participate, and we have quite a few other businesses and organizations that come downtown and set up tables and hand out candy as well.”

While the event draws in a large crowd from Wilmore families, any Asbury students looking to attend are welcome to attend.

“We love our Asbury students, and it is always a treat to see their costumes.  All are invited,” Fitch said.

Other Halloween events in the area include the Lexington Thriller Parade, the SAC Spooktacular and the Lexington Jack-o-lantern Trail.

The annual Michael Jackson parade in Lexington is scheduled for Oct. 29 at 7 p.m. It will start after the normal Halloween parade at 6:30 p.m. 

“‘Ranked among the 23 “Best Halloween Festivals Happening in the U.S. This Year by Oprah Magazine,’ nearly 30,000 people attend Lexington’s Halloween festival and thriller parade every year,” Fox 56 said.

The parade route will start on Quality Street and finish at Mill Street.

Asbury’s Spooktacular event will start tonight at 7 in the Stuce.

“It sounds cheesy, it is, and it’s gonna be a blast,” SAC Publicist Luce Hammond said in a schoolwide email on Tuesday. “Pumpkin paintin’, monster mashin’, costume contest, spooky music, snacks, games, the whole nine (grave) yards.”

For the past two nights, McConnell Springs Park has been the home of the popular community event, the Jack-o-lantern Trail.

For years, the Park has worked to fill their half-mile trail trail with pumpkins carved by the community. This year, their goal was 1,000 pumpkins for the night hike.

“In addition to marveling at the glow of the pumpkins, there will be campfires and s’mores, live owls from Critters in the Classroom and tasty fall food and beverages,” Lexington’s website said.

The trail is set to close on Oct. 28.