Winchester Sun

Kentucky’s oldest WWII veteran celebrates 107th birthday

Kentucky’s oldest living World War II veteran celebrated his 107th birthday on Oct. 2.

On his birthday, Oakley Holler received a special Senate resolution from Kentucky Senate President Robert Stivers, R-Manchester.

“I was proud to serve in our Navy, as did every other able-bodied man at the time,” Hacker said in a press release from the Kentucky Senate Majority Caucus. “Even though war is a horrible experience no matter whose side you’re on, I felt I had a duty to defend this country and my family. I’d do it all over again.”

“It’s a privilege to meet a member of the Greatest Generation and celebrate his unique contributions to this country and the world,” Stivers said in the release. “It warms my heart to honor someone who faithfully served in one of our nation’s bloodiest wars, returned to our beautiful commonwealth and continued making contributions to the community while he raised his family.”

Hacker was born in the hamlet of Bernice in Clay County, to William and Mary Hacker.

During the war, Hacker served as a gunner’s mate second class and armed guard aboard the SS Oliver Wolcott. This made him a member of the “Forgotten Heroes,” who protected large cargo and transport ships and did not receive much media attention. On D-Day, Hacker supported the Allied troops as they landed on the beaches of Normandy, according to the release. 

After the war, Hacker married the late Nella Mae Hacker, with whom he had four children. According to the release, Hacker began working for the state and became the owner of a used car lot.

According to Hacker’s daughter, Fatima Hacker Brown, he worked until he was 92. He lived at home until he was 103, at which point he moved to the Paul E. Patton Eastern Kentucky Veterans Center in Hazard.

“He went and he really liked it,” Brown told the Lexington Herald-Leader. “He said, ‘I’m staying.’ Whatever he says, we do.”

Brown said that Hacker is happy living at the veterans center. “There’s always something to do and people to talk to,” Brown said.

“Oak is a joy every day,” the veterans center said in a Facebook post for Hacker’s birthday. “We feel honored to celebrate his birthday and look forward to many more birthday celebrations with him.”

“I am thrilled to celebrate Daddy in such a big way and am so happy that our family and friends could participate,” Brown told WHAS. “It warms my heart to have created yet another special family memory to cherish.”