John Teoh

‘Breakout Chapel’ features togetherness and testimony

On the morning of Sept. 27, each class gathered together in designated locations to engage in worship, fellowship, and the sharing of testimonies. 

With the Courageous Class in Jameson Recital Hall, the Ignited Class in the Shaw CLC Luce Auditorium, the Restored Class in the Rader Student Center, and the Beloved Class in Hughes, the worship was spread all across our campus. 

The Beloved Freshman class had the privilege of hearing from their class advisors: Associate Professor of Education Dr. Brittany Worthen and her husband Ryan Worthen. Both Dr. Worthen and her husband graduated from Asbury in 2008 and 2003. 

“We sang a few worship songs and then the class advisors shared their testimonies,” freshman Bethany Todd said. “I loved hearing their stories and learning from them.”

For the Restored Class of 2026, Class President Zachary Fazio gave a message from Philippians 3:12-14 about the goal of pursuing Christ and the hope that we have for redemption in Him. 

“I enjoyed the chance to worship with my class specifically and to hear the class president encourage us about the hope that we have in Jesus,” sophomore Landrie Nickell said

The Ignited class of 2025 heard three students share their testimonies. Alex McWhirter vulnerably shared about the way that Church hurt has impacted her family and the way that God has delivered her from the anger that she held. Lena Overman and Jerry Liu then shared a joint testimony of the way that God has redeemed and grown their friendship over the past year. 

“I love hearing student testimonies during Breakout Chapel,” Ignited Class Chaplain Sarah Yost said. “I love how vulnerable we can be with each other and seeing just how much everyone loves our class. It’s like we’re one big family.”

Finally, the Courageous Senior Class heard from their Class Chaplain Rebecca Hedman. She shared her testimony which centered around the Lord renewing and making things beautiful. 

“Rebecca spoke thoughtfully about her testimony and encouraged us to ‘keep seeking the Lord,’” senior Zeke Atha said. “She compared our walk to the book of Hosea and how Jesus continues to pursue us despite our own unfaithfulness.”

Some of the Courageous class felt the talk was relevant to what students are experiencing in their last year and semester at Asbury.

“Even though she was just sharing her testimony, I think it really related to what [the Seniors] are going through,” senior Dakota Poole said. 

This special morning of fellowship within each class created a space for worship and personal reflection on the weeks that have been spent together so far, and the shared testimonies served as a reminder for students of the Lord’s faithfulness over the years.