unsplash

Active measures being taken against Kentucky’s drug epidemic

Kentucky has seen a rise in drug use throughout the state, which is being classified as an epidemic.

The Kentucky Opioid Abatement Advisory Committee has awarded nearly $14 million to combat Kentucky’s drug abuse problem, according to AP. The money comes from a settlement with several opioid companies and will be divided among groups specializing in drug prevention, treatment, and recovery services. 

The spike in fentanyl usage in Kentucky began in March 2020, and many researchers attribute it to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“2020 comes along, which is a year that none of us will forget, and we saw a 50% in drug overdose, which is unbelievable,” said Van Ingram, Executive Director of the Kentucky Office of Drug Control Policy. 

While the numbers started to decline in 2022, the number of overdose deaths in Kentucky is still some of the highest in the nation.

Fentanyl kills almost six Kentuckians a day, according to Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron.

“We’ve never seen one drug this prevalent in the toxicology reports of overdose fatalities,” Ingram said in an interview with AP. 

Overdose deaths are often attributed to more than one drug. Fentanyl is increasingly being included in other drugs without the buyer’s knowledge, officials say. 

“I talked to a drug task force director who said, ‘We’re finding fentanyl in everything,” Ingram said.

Addiction is “one of the most critical public health and safety issues” facing the state, reads the overdose fatality report. The rampant surge in fentanyl abuse has prompted government officials to take action. 

“Every day, we must work together to fund recovery programs and treatment options so that we can continue to address this scourge and get our people the help they need,” Governor Andy Beshear said in a news release. 

The state began working towards creating “Recovery Ready Communities” in 2022. Cities and counties can apply for a certification upon offering transportation, support groups, and employment services for people seeking treatment for drug or alcohol addictions. 

Boyle County became the first Recovery Ready Community in May of this year. 

“The drug epidemic in this country is going to end one community at a time,” Ingram said.

Kentucky’s drug epidemic has become a point of contention in the upcoming elections for governor this November.

Article written by Alexis Jones.