Kentucky football season opener

The Kentucky Wildcats came out on top this past weekend, going toe to toe against the Ball State Cardinals in their season opener.

The Wildcat’s starting quarterback Devin Leary put up great numbers with 241 passing yards. However, he struggled to consistently find his targets, only completing 58 percent of his attempts.

The NC State transfer threw his first touchdown at Kroger Field late in the game, a five yard pass to sophomore wide receiver Dane Key. 

Key had 96 yards on eight targets for one TD. Sophomore wide receiver Barion Brown would cap off the second half with a 99-yard kickoff return to the house for six points.

Despite this, the defensive unit made life difficult for the Cardinals as the Kentucky defense caused three fumbles along with recording three sacks during competition.

In his first game in Lexington, senior running back Ray Davis rushed for 112 yards in only 14 carries on the day. 

“I was excited, all the props go to my offensive line,” Davis told WYMT.

At the end of the second quarter, captain offensive lineman Kenneth Horsey was carted off with an injury. 

At the end of regulation, the Wildcats came out on top 44 to 14. 

“Very aggravated at a lot of things. Without giving excuses either, it’s like it was one of those games. It was very odd the way it was flowing with the defensive score, kick return, and then quick possession at the end of the half,” UK Head Coach Mark Stoops told WKYT.

Kentucky will play its next game against Eastern Kentucky University tomorrow at 3 p.m. in Lexington. The Colonels are coming off a 66-13 loss against the Cincinnati Bearcats up the highway in Ohio. The last time EKU faced Kentucky back in 2017, the Colonels lost 27-16.