Delight Ministries kickoff

Worship, fellowship, and memories were made at last week’s kickoff of Delight Ministries. The Luce Auditorium was packed with girls looking for a community of friends like them, all sharing the love of Jesus.

Delight Ministries is a women’s ministry that has some 200 chapters all over the nation, including here at Asbury. Each chapter creates a community where girls can find Christ-like friendships on their campus.

Junior Mary-Grayce Narron began the chapter her first year at Asbury, and it continues to branch out to many students. “For so long, I thought I was the only one feeling lonely and lacking this community,” Narron said. “But to see our chapter in its 4th semester just reminds me of God’s faithfulness to me in those moments of loneliness and how He is also faithful to these girls who are coming into community with His daughters.”

So many girls struggle with belonging in college and building relationships, especially throughout their first years. Each Delight chapter provides relationships and so much more for students. “Delight is truly so much more than a chapter,” senior Delight Leader Celia Pelfrey said. “Delight Ministries provides a safe environment for all college women out there to feel seen, heard and a little less lonely in a world filled with impossible standards most women feel the need to live up to.”

Throughout the Delight semesters, these young women fellowship together, become vulnerable with each other and most importantly have fun. On Thursday nights, the night begins with a word of prayer, followed by a group session and small groups. “My favorite part of starting a delight chapter at Asbury has been seeing the fruit of that labor,” said Narron. 

This semester, the chapter will be reading through a study entitled “Garden” which focuses on bearing one’s fruits and how to come back in unity as one with God.

“I am most excited to grow a deeper bond with each girl in my small group and dive deeper into the Word of God,” freshman Yumeng Clyde said. The girls dive deeper into how they can find Christ, helping build each other up. Not a week goes by that someone’s heart is not touched.

“I love the small group aspect, and from these groups, so many lifelong friendships have been formed,” Pelfrey said. Delight Ministries focuses on building relationships outside of majors and athletics and building trust and vulnerability with one another, as seen at the kickoff.

“There is nothing like seeing girls come in those doors with smiles on their faces, and from there, I’m able to be more intentional with putting a name to all of the beautiful faces on campus,” Pelfrey said.