COVID cases rise at Asbury, Lexington, and Fayette County

There has been a rise in COVID cases on Asbury’s campus and in surrounding areas.  

Students have seen some classes canceled or moved to Zoom, and many students have tested positive themselves. 

Asbury’s Health Services has commented on the increase of COVID cases they have seen since the semester began.

“Health Services has managed 31 positive cases on campus since the start of classes last Monday, plus there are other viruses and allergies that have a lot of the same symptoms we have seen as well,”  says Heidi Sunny, the Director of Student Health Services.

The Lexington-Fayette County Health Department told WKYT that COVID-19 cases have increased nearly 600% in less than a month. 

“We’re definitely seeing an increase, I don’t know, I wouldn’t characterize it as a spike,” Dr. Lee Dossett, Chief Medical Officer of Baptist Health Lexington, told WKYT. “It is very manageable. We’re not having to adjust any of our policies right now. We’re just kind of keeping an eye on it.”

The increase is notable but “nowhere near” the numbers in 2020 or 2021.

On May 11, the CDC officially lifted the public health emergency declaration, but they have continued to monitor numbers.

From Aug 12 to Aug 26, the CDC reported that Kentucky had around 1,254 positive COVID tests, which was a 1.4% increase from the beginning of August.

In the U.S., the CDC reported 15,067 COVID-19 hospitalizations from July 21 to Aug 19, which was an 18.8% increase.

The recent increase seen is a result of a new COVID variant.

“A new coronavirus variant, BA.2.86, is raising concern with public health experts, but it’s too early to know if this one is any more transmissible than current strains of the virus—or if it will even stick around,” Yale Medicine said.

The new strand nicknamed “Pirola” has the potential to fade out like other kinds of virus strands according to Yale Medicine infectious diseases specialist Scott Roberts, MD. 

This variant may be more capable of causing infection in people who have had COVID-19 or have been vaccinated against it,” Yale Medicine said. “There is currently no evidence that the strain is causing more severe illness.”

The recommended procedure is the same as it was later in 2022.  People are advised to stay up to date with the vaccine, isolate if they are showing symptoms or testing positive, and get tested if they are showing any signs of having COVID.

According to Asbury’s updated COVID policies anyone who tests positive “must isolate for a minimum of five days from the start of symptoms, either at permanent residence or in your Residence Hall Room on campus.” 

After returning from isolation, students will be expected to wear a mask for a total of 10 days from the start of symptoms.

If  a student has had close contact with someone who had COVID they do not need to quarantine, but should monitor symptoms and let Health Services know if their condition has changed.

“My biggest recommendation would be for anyone who is experiencing symptoms, to put on a mask and get tested,” Sunny said. “Symptoms can range from mild to severe.”

Students can get tested via appointments Monday through Friday or can take an at home test with identifiable information.