Asbury Review accepting submissions

The Asbury Review, a biannual Literary Magazine put together by students with a love for literature, screenwriting and photography, is accepting submissions until Oct. 27. The Review is run by Executive Editor-in-chief Emily Ellis and Associate Editor-in-chief Klara Kinman. The two ladies are accompanied by Dr. Erin Penner, a professor of Literature, and a staff of students ranging from reader to editor of specific sections of the magazine.

The Review is now on its 62nd edition this semester, dating back to its beginning in the 1940s. The staff is chosen based upon application, past Review staff experience, and the impressions of the Editor-in-Chief’s and the faculty advisor.

Penner took the lead of faculty advisor on this project in 2022, succeeding Professor Kristina Erny when Erny left Asbury’s faculty to join her husband in China.

Senior Emily Ellis began her Editor-in-Chief position during the spring semester of 2023, releasing the 61st edition with co-editor and 2023 graduate Hailey Small. 

“My favorite things about being on Review staff are getting to build a community of creatives and watching a new generation of Asbury students take over on staff,” Ellis said.

Ellis started on the Review staff as a sophomore reader, making her way up through Non-Fiction Editor and later taking on her current role of Editor-in-Chief. 

“It’s been so inspiring to be surrounded by so many creative individuals and to get to watch them learn and grow,” Ellis said. “I also love sending silly all-campus emails that hopefully, people read.”

The Review publishes poetry, screenplays, visual art, fiction and creative nonfiction in its biannual release. The student body of Asbury’s campus can submit any of the above within their restrictions for each section, with anonymity playing a huge role.

“We don’t know who wrote or created which pieces, which helps us rate pieces objectively,” Ellis said. “Once we receive all of our submissions, each staff member rates each piece on a scale of 1-5. We use those ratings to guide our conversation—work with higher ratings are more likely to get in, and we’ll debate which pieces to take.”

A launch party is hosted at the end of every semester with an edition of the Review at Drinkling’s Coffee and Mugs.

“There are so many cozy little nooks that give you the ‘I just want it to rain and I want to drink coffee and read a good book by the fireplace’ vibe,” Ellis said. “And there’s so much character in the house that Drinklings is in that just exudes creativity.” 

However small the Drinklings location might be, the house it resides in gladly hosts tons of people who gather to get free drinks, support their friends and fellow students and gain inspiration for their next creative production. 

“Sure, it gets a little squished whenever we have our party there, but that’s part of what makes it perfect,” Ellis said. “We’re in community with other creatives, art-lovers, aspiring novelists…it’s nice to see everyone all together.”

The Review staff hosts Workshops throughout their submission window, from Oct 18-21 and Nov 16-19 in the CLC Search Studio at 7 and 8 p.m. so that those who would like to submit a piece can get feedback from those on staff. On their instagram, you can find which section editors will be leading workshop at which day and time.Submissions are open until October 27 at 11:59 p.m. and can be submitted via asburyreview@asbury.edu. Their submission guidelines can be found on the Asbury Review Instagram page, @theasburyreview. Any questions can be emailed to Emily @emily.ellis@asbury.edu or Klara @klara.kinman@asbury.edu.