AU Strat Comm

A new year and a new beginning for track and field

Phase 1 of Asbury’s new track and field facility is complete, unlikely as it might have seemed in May. Construction of Phase 2, which will include a press box, seating, and new locker rooms will continue throughout the year. 

The team itself is currently in its pre-season after competing at the National Christian College Athletic Association tournament in Columbia, South Carolina, in the spring.

Sophomore Mary Hostetter broke her own school records in both the 100 and 200 meter dash events. In the 100 event she ran a 12.92, finishing 13 out of the 19 runners. While in the 200, she recorded a time of 26.39 to place 16 among 28 runners in the event. On the men’s side, the 4×800 competed at high level with Sam Webb leading the charge with a 2023 season best time of 2:01.1 for his two laps. Luke Holton, Davis Brown and Luke Wheatley followed as they brought the baton across the line in exactly eight minutes to earn fifth place on the national stage.

“The team is very God-centered and is a quality among the team, it is what drives us all for success,” said sophomore Dorcus Lara.

Hostetter said head coach O’Brian Bridges is a very encouraging and demanding leader. “He pushes us to do our best even in the off-season,” Hostetter said. “[Athletes] have different programs they can follow, such as weight lifting and running. Each player has something that they bring individually to the team whether that be their athletic ability or mentality.” 

The team, which features an experienced group of cross country runners, is preparing for the 2024 season in its brand new facility. For updates on the new facility, visit asburyeagles.com.

Article written by Shelby Borders.