Asbury Entrepreneurship Club hosts Eagle’s Nest Pitch Competition

On Apr. 12, Asbury University’s Entrepreneurship Club hosted the first Eagle’s Nest Pitch Competition. It occurred from 6-8 p.m. in the Shaw CLC Luce Auditorium.

The competition pitted five teams against one another in delivering business pitches to a panel of judges, in a format similar to the reality television series “Shark Tank.” Each team had five minutes to pitch their ideas, with the best pitch winning a $1000 cash prize. Furthermore, select teams received mentorships from panel judges, who ranged from local entrepreneurs to Asbury professors.

“This event enables students to further the triple bottom line of economic, social, and spiritual capital,” Dr. Dan Lewis, lecturer of business, said. “We are joining in the Great Commission through creating businesses that are redemptive.”

Entrepreneurship Club members Braeden Bisher, Nick Garnett, Izzy Miller, and Terry Turner III hosted Eagle’s Nest. Garnett served as the event coordinator.

“I helped found the Entrepreneurship Club my sophomore year because there were hidden entrepreneurs at Asbury, but they didn’t have a platform or a voice or a spotlight,” Garnett told WTVQ. “This is sort of our way to highlight those other entrepreneurs on campus.”

The free event was partnered with Awesome Inc. and sponsored by First Southern National Bank. It featured catering by local restaurants Malone’s and Osaka.

The Entrepreneurship Club is a part of Asbury’s Dayton School of Business (DSB). The Eagle Nest’s potential for mentorship opportunities align with the DSB’s initiatives for career guidance.

The DSB also launched a Mentor & Internship Program in January.

“The Mentor & Internship Program works to connect students with individuals in their chosen career path who can speak into them as future business people and followers of Christ,” Dr. Alesha Graves, dean of the DSB, said for the program’s announcement. “It is our goal that every DSB student has the opportunity to connect with a mentor and to develop experience in an internship.”