‘You’ll figure it out’: Asbury’s new sitcom

“New Girl,” “Friends” and “Modern Family” are sitcoms that are loved by many. What most do not know is that Asbury has a sitcom of its very own created by 10 students.

“The sitcom class is actually a revamped class that was discontinued when the professor left,” said producer Maddie Heineman. “There is only 10 people in our class, so we are referred to as the Talented 10.”

As the producer of the show “You’ll Figure It Out,” Heineman works directly under Professor Weaver-Seitz and manages the art and tech departments. Heineman also coordinates and communicates timelines and makes sure the whole team is on schedule.

The sitcom was written by Andrew Stevens and has a combination of different things. There is drama, family relationships and lasting friendships. 

“Essentially ‘You’ll Figure It Out’ is a comedy about a group of college friends coming together for a game night. Game nights are crazy. They’re messy and they’re fun, but something always happens, especially when you put a bunch of hormonal 20-somethings in a room,” said Heineman.

After writing and creating the show, the class had to hold auditions and cast talent for the show. Charity Johnson was the casting director and the process was not an easy one.

“Once we found our cast, it became an issue of figuring out scheduling, which caused some conflicting push backs so our dates and times were pushed back,” said Heineman.

Creating a show like this also comes with many challenges. As college students, schedules are always crazy and busy especially during the last few weeks of the semester. Since everyone has different schedules, finding times to rehearse, build sets and finding a date for the premiere was difficult.

The original plan was to have the studio premiere on Friday, March 31, but due to scheduling conflicts the Friday show was cancelled and moved to Wednesday, March 29 and Thursday, March 30.

“We were not planning to have it Wednesday night, but because of scheduling conflicts we cancelled the Friday night show and moved up the time for audience and filming,” said Heineman.

Tickets to see “You’ll Figure It Out” were completely free and all are invited to attend. AJ Hughes and Charity Johnson were the MCs during the studio premiere as the audience experienced the process of a sitcom coming together.

“The tagline for our show is ‘game night rules optional, chaos inevitable’. I think that applies to more than just the show because we didn’t have a rule book for this. But I think what we’ve put together is something that people will enjoy,” said Heineman.