Asbury Track & Field break school records

Asbury’s men’s and women’s track and field had another remarkable Saturday. They broke multiple recent school records in their first year as a program led by new head coach O’Brian Bridges. The Eagles competed in that Victor Icebreaker Duals Meet which was hosted by Berry College in Mount Berry, GA. 

Freshman Davis Brown and junior Wes Preston dominated and earned their way to the NCCAA Outdoor Championships. 

Brown set yet another school record for Asbury, but this time in the 1500 and previously claimed by Tim Bartholomew in 1981 (4:09.2). Brown, out of Ashland, KY, ran a 4:06.80 on Saturday to set the new school record in the 1500 event. 

Preston also set a school record, running the best 5000m time in AU history, 15:52.10. He is coming off a dominant fall cross-country season for the Eagles where he received the honor of being an NCCAA All-American. 

Freshman Mary Hostetter set new Asbury school records in the 100 (13.25) and 200 (27.67). Hostetter also ran the fastest relay leg split of the 4 x 400 relay down in Georgia.

Freshman Cameron Tapp and sophomore Katherine Stanley both had outstanding performances for Asbury in the 1500 event as well, Tapp ran a 4:26.34 and Stanley 5:22.32. 

In the Eagle’s first two meets of the 2023 campaign, Asbury has already broken multiple school records to begin the season. This early success only creates excitement for the program and the new track venue under construction.

Head coach O’Brian Bridges told Asbury Eagles, “The excitement of having track and field at Asbury was on display with how the athletes competed this weekend.” 

He went on to say the team had a lot of strong performances paced by three school records. Davis Brown set a new school record in the men’s 1500m run. Also, Mary Hostetter broke both the women’s 100m and 200m dash records. Davis (1500m) and Wes Preston (5000m) already punched their ticket to the NCCAA Outdoor Championships with their performances.

“I’m excited for the way we started and look to use this as a springboard for the program as we move forward!” he said. 

Their next meet will be in Hanover, IN after spring break on Saturday, March 25.