Worship continues on campus

The CLC Luce Auditorium has been the home of multiple different worship nights recently.

On Monday, Jan. 30 at 8 pm the Worship Arts Department and the Music Department came and worked together to plan a worship night titled “I Will Give You Rest” an evening of contemplating worship. . 

This event featured music by Dan Pinkston and performances from the Asbury Women’s Choir. Blessed Are, O Lord, Be Adored, Come Unto Me, For God Gave Us Not A Spirit of Fear, Rich in Mercy and Mountains Melt were the songs that were composed by Dan Pinkston based on Scripture.

On Jan. 31, the CLC was once again filled with a crowd ready to worship and experience the word of God. The Courageous class hosted a worship night at 7pm that included singing, Scripture reading, prayer and reflection.

Junior Dakota Poole planned the Courageous class worship night and even though she said a lot of stresses appeared, “God provided everything we needed right on time.” She described the atmosphere of being peaceful. 

“We were not only able to create a space of beautiful worship but also bless those who didn’t come to the event with extra food and drinks,” Poole said.

Moses Leininger, Matthew Haugen and Zachary Massengale led the night with worship songs Open the Eyes of My Heart, Let Revival Come (Revive Me), In Christ Alone, How Deep the Father’s Love, How Great Is Our God, O Praise the Name (Anastasis), and Build My Life. 

“For all of its chaotic start, the worship event was a huge blessing, and I’m thankful for those involved and for how God used it to touch people,” Poole said.

Poole also read Psalm 100, which dives into the posture of worshiping the Lord with gladness, praising Him for being good as “His love endures forever.”

It connected to the message from the first Worhip Him At Midnight (WHAM) of the semester on Jan. 27. WHAM coordinator Zeke Atha spoke out of John 10: the Good Shepherd. 

Reflecting back on the message, Atha said he chose the topic because of how easy it is to believe the lies of the enemy.

“When I’m not focused on the truth of who God is and who He has called me to be, I settle for lies which destroy my faith,” he said. “The imagery in John 10 especially spoke to me over this past winter break, and I knew that Jesus wants to remind us about how good He is and how He gives us abundant life.”

He continued to say he is hopeful about the WHAMs going to occur throughout the rest of the semester in the CLC. 

“I am praying that God continues to move in our lives through WHAM,” Atha said.  “It has been a special space on campus that is intentional about seeking the Lord and worshiping Him, and we must protect it. God will continue to move; I’m just grateful to be apart of His work at Asbury.”

The next WHAM will be on Feb. 24 in the CLC.