Whodunnit? A review of GC’s Mystery in the Parlor

Strangely suspicious activity brewed in Gide-Crawford last Saturday, Feb 4, after a bunch of priceless gems were stolen! It officially kicked off the dorm’s second annual “Mystery in the Parlor” event. Residents and other students gathered in teams for a full-interactive experience complete with clues pasted to walls, mysterious characters with unreliable alibis and poppyseed sheet cake. 

Resident director Laura Haugen and the resident assistants (RAs) spent hours decorating halls, coming up with additional characters from the beloved classic “Clue” and connecting a puzzle for campus participants to figure out. 

“Seeing all of the hard work that the RA’s have put in to the event and residents on each hall was so much fun,” said Haugen.

Each hall was transformed into iconic locations like the kitchen, library, dining hall and the garden. The RAs dressed up in specific colors to match their eerie personalities such as Professor Hazel and Lady Rose. 

“I’m not very artisitic but so many girls on my hall are, and it was amazing to see them all come together to show off their skills,” RA and senior Kyla Rowell. 

Upon entry, the groups are given a clue sheet to mark off as they discover who stole the GC gems, where they stashed them, and specifically at what time.

“The greatest thing about this event was the intrigue of the mystery,” said junior Andrew Seamands. “It was both horrible and inciting. I felt alive my relationship with Mystery in the Parlor is that of a cat and mouse.”

The students were grouped so they could use each other’s thoughts to best develop the mystery.

“I was a brilliant detective with my brilliant detective friends,” said Seamands.

One highlight in senior Ian Wilkinson’s experience occurred in the kitchen, where junior Rachel Call turned into Chef White and ran a chaotic environment where one could enjoy cranberry juice and carmel corn. Wilkinson reported he saw “food flying!”

Freshman Aiden Jones recalled the event to be like “talking to the members of the ‘Clue’ universe.”

But the question remained: who stole the gems?

If a group managed to figure out the puzzle, one should’ve discovered the guilty party: Professor Hazel, otherwise known as junior Grace Gipson. 

“Yep, I did it,” Gipson said.