unsplash

International students face unique challenges after Asbury campus closed

International students, third culture kids (TCKs) and missionary kids (MKs) have a unique life experience. Their sense of home can be a bit muddied, and their hearts are tied to multiple cultures and places. Their connections transcend borders.

As the coronavirus has spread worldwide, the way these students are being affected is as distinct and deep as their life experiences.

For the majority of students, when Asbury made the decision to extend spring break and ultimately go online for the rest of the semester, they simply moved back into their homes with their families. For international students, TCKS and MKs it wasn’t that easy. Their families could be thousands of miles away, and it would cost an expensive flight to get there — not to mention international borders were shutting down and traveling was becoming uncertain.

“I was not able to go back. With all that is going on with the virus and political unrest, my parents thought it best for me to stay here,” said Carter Hammond, a sophomore who grew up as a TCK in Port-de-Paix, Haiti. “They were actually able to fly back to Kentucky on a repatriation flight after the borders closed in Haiti.”

Junior Annie Pan has family scattered around the globe, so finding a place to settle was a difficult decision.

“I was born in Taiwan, but grew up in Shanghai, China, as an MK. My parents are still in China at the moment. I have a sister living in Taiwan and a brother living in Orlando, Florida,” said Pan. “I was able to travel back to Taiwan and stay with my grandpa; however, I wouldn’t necessarily call here home. It took me about 62 hours in total to get home though, and the whole process of booking and rebooking flights was also very chaotic due to the travel ban in different countries.”

Some students, like senior Madeline Smart, are staying in Wilmore.

“I was born and raised in Kentucky, spent my high school years in Kobe, Japan, and came to Asbury for college. My family still lives in Kobe, Japan,” said Smart. “I was not able to go home, but Asbury has graciously found an alternative place for me to stay in Wilmore.”

Finding a place to shelter in place is more difficult for these students, and this situation is also taking a larger emotional toll on them. Instead of solely worrying about the United States, these students have attachments around the world that are all suffering due to the coronavirus. 

“So far, there have been a few reports of the virus hitting Haiti, but there have not been any major outbreaks yet. The government has closed all borders, ports and airports. The scariest part is that the country has zero resources available to them, and no one is prepared,” said Hammond. “There are no stockpiles of masks or ventilators; hospitals are already saturated with patients. There isn’t a nearby Sam’s Club or Costco that people can run to and stock up on groceries. Overpopulation is a major problem in some cities as well, in the sense that certain areas are too densely populated. The capital, Port-au-Prince, is twice as densely populated as New York City with 65,000 people per square mile, so if it starts to spread there, then there will be no way to stop it. All of this together poses a massive threat to everyone back home, and it is scary to think that people you know and love could potentially be suffering from something with no way to get help.”

Similar to Hammond, Pan shared that her heart is breaking for her friends and family around the globe.

“​It’s been really hard for me to watch the news right now knowing so many people around the world are heavily impacted by the pandemic. Most of my close friends and family live all around the world and so I’m constantly worried about their situation,” said Pan. 

Pan, who grew up in Shanghai, which is about 500 miles away from Wuhan where the virus originated, shared that she has also experienced more intense racism due to the outbreak.

“It is definitely one of those times that I just wish I had a home somewhere. I have seen and experienced discrimination all around the world because of the coronavirus,” said Pan. “When I was in the U.S., there were people purposely coughing at me and moms pulling their kids away from me murmuring ‘coronavirus’ at the airports. Now even when I’m back in my passport country, the people here refer to people like me who live in other countries the ‘carrier of the virus’ and do not want us here. It just feels like there’s not a ‘right’ place for me to stay anywhere.”

Pan also offered a piece of advice for this situation.

“Check in on your international, TCK and MK friends and see how they are doing if you can,” she said. “It is extremely unsettling for us when our hearts are tied to so many different countries, and some of us are having trouble going home or don’t even have a place to call home.” 

Hammond expressed gratitude for what he has in the United States and also presented some advice.

“These kinds of situations remind me how grateful I am to now be in a place where healthcare is so easily accessible,” he said. “We don’t have to live in fear that we could get sick and die any day from a common cold or diarrhea. Wash your hands, and don’t be stupid. Staying inside and being bored really stinks right now, but in the end, you’re doing your part to help out.”

Smart offered some hope through the metaphor of Japanese pottery known as ‘kintsugi’:

“What was once broken pottery is put back together, but the areas that were once fractured are restored with gold,” she explained. “As a Christian well acquainted with Japanese culture, I view the coronavirus a bit like kintsugi pottery; yes, our world is deeply suffering, but I think this time could also be an opportunity. What if [because of] COVID-19 the world became more generous, compassionate and focused on the things that matter most? What if this tumultuous time is also a time where God is inviting all people to know Jesus — whether more deeply or for the first time?”