Testimony from the outpouring: ‘You have been a good son’

At Asbury, thousands of people have come and been a witness to the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. However, the heart of the outpouring started through humble and hungry Asbury students, who wanted to experience and feel the presence of God. 

Freshman Josh Ballard has technically been on campus for six years, with his father, James, being the director of the World Gospel Mission student center. He grew up in a home with two Christian parents and with the center, he was surrounded by community, worship, and mission work during really formative years. 

However, that doesn’t mean he’s never struggled. 

“I never really believed in God growing up even though I grew up in a home with two Christian parents,” said Ballard. 

These doubts continued when his mother, Rachél, was diagnosed with glioblastoma, a type of brain cancer, in Jan. 2021. Ballard called her an “inspiration” in his life, and an example he tried to live by. She was “someone who loved others over themself,” he said. 

She died on Nov. 8, 2022. He was there when she passed, because then something incredible happened. 

“As I was holding her hand, I felt a hand touch my back,” he said. 

He looked up, but no one was there. 

Then a voice came and told him, “It is okay. I am here for you.”

“I would be lying if I said I didn’t cry,” Ballard said. “I knew that there was a God, but prior to that moment I never really believed in Him.”

At that moment, Ballard said he gave his life to Jesus. From then until now, a year and a half later, he said he prayed to God. He told Him,“God, make me a better son for you.”

During the revival, chapel speaker Zach Meerkreebs approached Ballard on the second day. Meerkreebs admitted he didn’t know why. 

“But I feel the Holy Spirit telling me to tell you this,” he said to Ballard. “You have been a good son.”  

Ballard said he was “flabbergasted.” He walked away from the conversation and cried on the walk back to his dorm. 

Ballard said “numerous people” have come up to him throughout the outpouring and spoken words that have resonated with him. Now, he is taking those words and is “striving to be the best son” he can be. 

It was part of why he joined the worship rotation, playing the cajón in front of the masses pouring in from across the globe. 

“Just seeing so many people singing and praying while I am on the stage really has been a sight,” said Ballard. “So many are glorifying God through their actions and I pray that it continues!”

He admitted he never witnessed anything like what has occurred over the past two weeks. However, he said his relationship with God is stronger now because of the prayer and worship. 

“I know for me personally,” said Ballard, “this revival has been a blessing.”