Jessamine County Public Library expands Creative Space

On Feb. 15, the Jessamine County Public Library (JCPL) began construction on an expanded Creative Space.

The Creative Space is a facility within the library which connects customers to innovative creative tools and collaborative learning opportunities. Such facilities, known as “makerspaces,” became widespread throughout the 2010’s and beyond.

“Technology plays a crucial role in education,” Shantel Richardson, the library’s Customer Technology Librarian, told the Jessamine Journal. “Makerspaces help students learn at their own pace and explore their creativity.”

In December 2022, the library’s Board of Trustees voted in favor of expanding the space. Construction work is being carried out by Jarboe Construction. Work on the new space is planned for completion in May 2023.

In its current iteration, the JCPL’s Creative Space houses a laser cutter and two computer numerical control (CNC) machines for cutting wood and plastic. The expansion will add new equipment, including a long-arm sewing machine and soldering kits.

“The current area for these technologies is too small to adequately serve the number of customers using JCPL’s Creative Space,” Dr. Ron Critchfield, JCPL’s Executive Director, told the Jessamine Journal. “As a result of the expansion, more customers will have access to technology and experiential, hands-on learning activities that develop lifelong learning and job readiness skills.”

For the duration of construction, the Creative Space itself will remain open, as will the library’s computer room. The building’s east entrance will be inaccessible. As a result, visitors are asked to enter the building through the main tower entrance. The library’s Quiet Room will also be closed during construction.

“We are very excited about what’s coming next at JCPL,” library staff said in a Facebook announcement for the expansion. “More details are forthcoming, but for now, we’ll say that you can expect increased tool access and lots more space to create. Get excited!”