“He is enough” — the Asbury revival continues

“We want more of you and less of us.”

At the 32-hour mark, those words ring out across Hughes Auditorium as revival involving Asbury University and the Wilmore, Kentucky, community continues. To some, those words seem pretty counter-cultural.    

Typically, we’re told to think of ourselves more and prioritize ourselves and our wants and desires more. But this revival isn’t about us. It’s not about trying to recreate history. It has been and will continue to be all about Jesus Christ. 

Because, in the words of Asbury junior Dakota Poole, “He is enough.”

During a call of confession, at least a hundred people fell to their knees and bowed at the altar. Hands rested on shoulders, linking individual people together to represent the Body of Christ truly. Cries of addiction, pride, fear, anger and bitterness sounded, each followed by a live-changing proclamation: “Christ forgives you.”   

Wednesday chapel speaker Zach Meerkreebs admitted to those in attendance he didn’t know what the call of confession would look like, but this morning he spoke about seeing God not only as a Father but as a friend. Someone who won’t abandon you. Someone who will be there when you need to cry, mourn, rejoice, dance or anything in between. 

All of the above have occurred in Hughes within the past day and a half— and God isn’t finished yet. 

“He hears our cry for mercy,” Asbury junior Elise Terpstra said. “He brings complete, abundant healing and redemption.”

Testimonies and prayer have continued in between Spirit-led worship sessions. One painter even set up an easel to capture the essence of what Hughes has been like recently. There was even a deafening and intentional silence as people sat in their seats, lay on the ground or clung to each other to listen to what God wanted to tell them.

Currently, everyone worships: “Let us become more aware of your presence; let us experience the glory of Your goodness.”

There is a recognition of the present moment. No worry for the future, no shame of the past. 

Earlier today, I took a moment with some classmates in the basement of Hughes. We were supposed to have class, but instead, our professor invited us to come and reflect on what was occurring in chapel. 

It’s still hard to verbalize. I’ve had friends across state lines text and call me, wanting an explanation for how and why God chose now to come in this way. I admitted to all of them a phrase I usually despise: “I don’t know.” 

And honestly, none of us do. But just because we don’t know all the details of God’s plan or His timeline doesn’t eliminate that He still moves. He still shows up. Funny enough, it always seems to be right when we need Him. 

The night is no way near over from my perspective. As long as the Spirit calls for it, His children will remain here, allowing God’s overwhelming and holy love to fill hearts and touch souls. 

And for those who have messaged the Collegian, asking for prayer, healing and transformation across the country, we hear you. We see you. And so does God. 

We will continue to provide updates from Asbury’s campus.