A Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious sophomore musical

A very magical nanny with her chimney sweeps and fantastical world is preparing to make her appearance in the Blackbox Theatre this spring.

The beloved Asbury tradition of the sophomore musical (SoMu) continues in 2023 with the Ignited class’s preparation to showcase their rendition of Mary Poppins. 

Each year, the SoMu is put on entirely by the sophomore class with help from their class advisors. Last year, the Courageous Class performed The Little Mermaid for the Wilmore community. It is a way for students from all different majors to come together and make memories that will last a lifetime.

Taking charge in directing the musical is theatre major Hannah Young. Young has been directing productions since she was fourteen, and she desires to lead an incredible show for the whole campus to enjoy. 

“This artistic team and the cast were truly a Godsend, and I am blessed to be collaborating with some of the brightest, most talented minds around campus,” said Young.

Working alongside Young and helping make her vision come true is Ella Anderson as stage manager, Kaity McCraken as vocal director and Trueman Livingston as choreographer. 

Young said everyone has already been working hard since coming back from winter breaks with multiple rehearsals a week “focusing on blocking, vocal coaching, choreography, character development and so forth.”

The fantastical musical of Mary Poppins tells the story of the Banks family, who lives in a big house in London on Cherry Lane. The Banks children, Jane and Michael, played by Emma Hearn and Sarah Grimes, have been out of control and need a new nanny. A  mysterious young woman named Mary Poppins, the lead role played by Laney Hill, appears at their door. The family finds that she’s the answer to their prayers, but in the most peculiar way. 

Mary Poppins takes the children on many magical and memorable adventures, but Jane and Michael aren’t the only ones she has a profound effect on. Even grown-ups can learn a lesson or two from the nanny who advises that “anything can happen if you let it.”

On March 24 and 25, Mary Poppins will begin her adventures with the Banks children, and the Ignited class will be ready for Asbury to see all the hard work they have put into this musical.

“We can not wait to shock the audience with the show and talent we have in store this year,” said Young.