University of Virginia football players fatally shot; suspect in custody

A University of Kentucky student faces charges of assault and alcohol intoxication after a video released online broadcast racial harassment. 

On Sunday, Nov. 6, 22-year-old Sophia Rosing was arrested at approximately 3:50 a.m. due to a video showing her verbally and physically assaulting a student, Kylah Spring, on campus. The student is a desk worker for Boyd Hall and said she experienced Rosing hitting her and calling her racial slurs. 

The video spread across campus and led Rosing to post two apologies on her Instagram story. She repeated that she “lost everything” and blamed her actions on being “under the influence.” 

Both posts were received negatively on social media after another video from 2021 surfaced and contained similar content to this new incident. 

UK President Eli Capilouto announced Wednesday afternoon to all of campus that Rosing is no longer a student and permanently banned from campus because racial harassment is not tolerated at the university. 

WKYT reported Rosing’s charges include “alcohol intoxication in a public place, disorderly conduct, 4th-degree assault, and 3rd-degree assault (of a police officer). Her bond was set at $10,000.”

On Tuesday, Nov. 15, Rosing appeared before Fayette District Judge Lindsay Thurston with her attorney, Fred Peters, and decided to waive her preliminary hearing, which means the case will proceed to a Fayette County grand jury. 

UK students and other supporters for the victim held a march on Monday night against racism, leading her to thank them for the encouragement. 

“This is a recurring issue in and across American school systems, no matter what age,” Spring said. “I am deeply sad about the events that took place. But I am grateful for justice that is to come.”