Beloved actor Leslie Jordan dies at 67

Beloved actor Leslie Jordan has died due to complications from a car crash. 

On Oct. 24, Jordan crashed his BMW into the side of a building at Cahuenga Boulevard and Romaine Street in Los Angeles. Black skid marks from Cahuenga Boulevard led into the sidewalk, where his BMW slammed into the building. He died at approximately 9:30 a.m.

Later that day, after Jordan’s BMW was removed, bundles of lilies and chrysanthemums and a handwritten note on lined paper: “Thank you for being a light in this world! You will be missed. RIP!” filled its place. 

The loss of the famous actor, comedian, and musician sent shockwaves throughout the entertainment industry.

Jordan was known for his roles in “Will and Grace” and “American Horror Story.” During the pandemic, Jordan made funny and uplifting videos for Instagram and TikTok.

Born in Memphis, Tennessee, on April 29, 1955, Jordan was raised in a conservative, deeply religious atmosphere in Chattanooga, Tennessee. 

His first on-screen role was in 1986 in ABC’s TV series, The Fall Guy. After that, Jordan, who became known for his distinct Southern drawl, went on to star in shows like Murphy Brown, Will & Grace, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, Star Trek: Voyager, Caroline in the City, Pee-Wee’s Playhouse, Reba, Boston Public, Boston Legal, Nash Bridges, American Horror Story and Hearts Afire

He is best known for his role as Beverly Leslie in NBC’s Will & Grace, in which he played Karen Walker’s pretentious, sexually ambiguous rival. The show won him an Emmy Award in the Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series category at the Primetime Emmy Awards in 2006. 

Before his death, Jordan went public about his alcohol and drug addiction struggles, which he didn’t overcome until he was 42 years old. In an interview with The Guardian in 2020, Jordan explained that he started using drugs after he moved to Los Angeles in 1982. 

“The world is definitely a much darker place today without the love and light of Leslie Jordan. Not only was he a mega talent and joy to work with, but he provided an emotional sanctuary to the nation at one of its most difficult times. What he lacked in height, he made up for in generosity and greatness as a son, brother, artist, comedian, partner and human being. Knowing that he has left the world at the height of both his professional and personal life is the only solace one can have today,” Sarabeth Schedeen, Jordan’s talent agent, said in a statement to CNN.