Nic Joransen

Asbury construction updates – an end in sight

Students have been maneuvering around construction for over a year now and are finally getting to experience some of the results.

The construction fences have been taken down now that the Walt and Rowena Shaw Collaborative Learning Center is officially open for classes. 

The Shaw CLC houses the Dayton School of Business, School of Science, Health and Mathematics and SEARCH at Asbury. Along with new classrooms and a beautiful outside patio seating area, the Shaw CLC contains a 400-seat multifunctional auditorium that will host many campus events. 

Students are already enjoying the new facility and all it has to offer.

The outdoor patio next to the cafeteria was completed last semester and it has been a great place for students to enjoy their meals outside. The Student Center is still being renovated but should be finished later this semester.

Along with updated indoor seating spaces, the new and improved Stuce will hold the CPO and a new, more expansive bookstore. 

“I have missed the accessibility of the Stuce. It is generally pretty hard to find an indoor area for bigger groups to converse, and the Stuce did not only serve as that but also the location of it was in the middle of the campus. I am excited about the renovation of the basement,” said Asbury student Ian Wang.

For now, the Stuce remains closed.

The Hiccup is still in the library and the Bistro has become a hub for games and hanging out.

This is all until the Stuce makes its grand reopening later this semester.

In the meantime, say goodbye to the green construction fences and hello to the mostly construction-free Asbury.