A look back on Coffee & Canvas

Glittering lights in the green trees illuminated the green, various paintings tied to the branches. Students of all classes mingled as they shared paint palettes, sipped from their coffees and listened to their classmates perform on the ASC Porch. This created one of the most popular events on campus, the annual Coffee & Canvas. 

On Sept. 16, Asbury students were invited to take a break from studying and relax before a weekend of homework. 

Previously, Coffee & Canvas was held inside the student center and had performers brought in from outside the university, such as Jordy Searcy. However, since COVID-19, the event moved outside. Last year, it was held on the Stuce porch. Yet, this year, due to more participation from students, the Student Activities Cabinet (SAC) chose the green outside of Old Asbury. 

SAC publicist Ian Wang said this event was also special because “it’s one of the few events we have on campus where we get to feature local artists.”

Performers included Sleep Aid, Late After Noon, Isaiah Friedeman, Tiffany Rutledge and many more. 

SAC provided snacks like red grapes, cheese, and crackers. The HICCUP also catered the coffee, offering free lattes with various syrups and flavors. 

“Perfect way to enjoy a Friday,” senior Gianna Presta said as she balanced her coffee and paint supplies in her hand. 

It was a time where community was embraced and encouragement rippled through the audience through whistles, claps and cheers. As the sun set, even phones popped up, their flashlights bright, to sway along with the tune playing. 

Student Rebekah Buchholz said she simply enjoyed “gathering and painting beautiful creations.”

Another student heard in passing, walking back to their dorm after the event ended with their friends, complimented, “This is what community is supposed to be.”