Wilmore resident running for U.S. Senate position

Paul Hamilton, a Wilmore resident and former Asbury business faculty member, is a Republican candidate running for Rand Paul’s U.S. Senate seat, hoping to defeat the incumbent in the May 17 primaries.

Hamilton grew up within the culture of Asbury University – his parents moved to Wilmore in 1971, when his father, Victor Hamilton, got a job as a Bible professor at Asbury. Hamilton attended Jessamine County schools, where he participated in cross country from elementary school onward. His skill as a runner earned him a spot in the Jessamine Athletic Hall of Fame.

“I think one of the best things that I learned living in Wilmore is being content with what you have while also dreaming big – including being a US Senator!” Hamilton told the Collegian.

Regarding policy, Hamilton pledges to make well-informed, at times difficult decisions to restore solvency to Social Security, Medicaid, and the national budget. He also said his most significant focus for Kentucky is “to let go of the past success stories such as light manufacturing and move on to the winners of the future such as agri-tech.”

Hamilton is also determined to wear his faith on his sleeve throughout his campaign, in a way that recenters what being a Christian means for the country. “The majority of conservative Christians associate with the Republican party exemplified with pro-life support. But the Trump presidency brought out the worst in many ‘believers’ who have taken stands on immigration, poverty, and race that doesn’t sound very Christlike,” Hamilton said. “These are complex issues, but I hope that in answering them, ‘they will know we are Christians by our love.’”

“Republicans have been dogged by the question that people know what we are against, but what are we for?” reads Hamilton’s LinkedIn page. “My ideas and direction for the country will be guided by conversations, not conspiracy theories, decency and kindness, and conservative values that look to private solutions rather than government oversight.”

Comprehensive information regarding Hamilton’s campaign and policies can be found at PaulVHamilton.com, while individuals can contact Hamilton at Hamilton4Senate@gmail.com.