Summer Film: An Asbury arts experience

This summer Asbury’s Media Communication department will produce a feature-length romantic comedy film called, “Not Your Romeo & Juliet,” produced and written by Prof. Sean Gaffney. 

He explained participating in this film will allow students to work alongside alumni. Matt Kistenmacher, a recent M.F.A graduate with a lot of experience in production and had worked on films such as The Green Hornet and The Amazing Spider-Man, and television shows such as Superstore and Children’s Hospital, will direct. 

“A key component of the summer film is getting to work with professionals,” Gaffney said. “We view the course as similar to the teaching hospital model: the students make the movie under the supervision and mentorship of professionals.” 

Gaffney added this program is a great way for students to explore different interests. 

“In addition to six faculty working the film, we will have several other professionals offering training throughout the process – including special workshops in the areas of sound, production design, and drone camera work,” he said. “Students will be used in all positions, from camera to grip to the wardrobe.” 

Interested students can access this program and even receive credits for taking part in the production. Students can register for summer film as a seminar course in production (MC 393), in the art department (THA 393), as a graduate class (DSG 612). “Students are also in the process of auditioning for acting roles,” Gaffney said. For internship credit, contact Prof. David Whitaker at david.whitaker@asbury.edu. If you have any questions or you’re interested in this yourself, you can email sean.gaffney@asbury.edu to get started.