Midseason look at Asbury Baseball

Asbury baseball is in full swing.  The Eagles are 8-5 after their (?? results of Tuesday’s game)

The Eagles are seeing their team come together with a lot of new players.

“Some strengths we have noticed with our team is our chemistry,” said junior Pitcher/Infielder Jackson Cole. “We have a lot of young players who enjoy playing baseball together. We have a deeper connection than just on the field. Another strength we have is that we have a lot of talent. Most of the time, a team will have 9 players that will play every game, but this year we have multiple guys who can play different positions.”

With the new energy and the benefits of having younger players, there are still some difficulties, especially when it comes to adjusting and continuing to push through to the end of games.

“A weakness we have as a team to this point of the season is finishing games. Some of our losses we have found ourselves leading late in the game, and then we will lose the last couple of innings,” said Cole.

A contributing factor  is the lack of outdoor practices prior to competing.

“The biggest challenge we faced early on was not being able to get outside and practice due to weather. When we played our first game, it was one of the first times we had been outside all year,” said infielder Cam Weaver.

Along with the other growing pains, the team is still adjusting to the new D3 setup.

“Changing from NAIA to D3 has been a tough transition and a lot of people are still adjusting. The biggest difference is we are not in a conference, so we have been playing teams that we normally wouldn’t have played in previous years,” said Cole.

Playing new teams is a learning experience as they often know little knowledge of their competition.

“With the change to D3, we are playing teams that we don’t know much about. We can only rely on stats from the previous years to see how good a team is,” said Weaver.

Despite the challenges, the Eagles are riding a three-game winning streak and look to continue it.

“We have a lot of young players, but we have plenty of talent and a good chance to be a successful team.”

The men are competing against Alice Lloyd at 4 P.M. today at home.

“We have a stretch of 9 home games in a row these next couple of weeks, so come out, support us and enjoy some warmer weather,” said Cole.