Eight arrests made after violent altercation at Malibu Jack’s

Lexington police arrested seven people at Malibu Jack’s as the result of a fight involving a firearm on Feb. 19.

Ray Daniels, owner of Malibu Jack’s Sandbar & Grill, told the Lexington Herald-Leader that the incident occurred around 8:30 p.m., and involved a fight between two parties of people based on a previous grievance.

The identities of the suspects have not been revealed as of Feb. 28. However, Lexington police have confirmed that they will reveal the suspects’ identities after investigations are finished. Charges include disorderly conduct, assault on a police officer, and resisting arrest. It is known that the seven suspects are relatives of Lexington resident Andre Maxberry, who spoke to Fox 56.

Maxberry said her family went to the indoor park to celebrate her great-grandchild’s third birthday. While they were there, a man confronted her grandson with a gun, and a fight involving multiple family members escalated from there.

“They have some type of beef, whatever it is, I do not know what is going on, I just wish that it would stop,” said Maxberry.

In addition to the initial seven arrests, a security guard who was involved in the incident was arrested on Feb. 21. He has been charged with fourth-degree assault, according to Lexington police. Daniels told the Herald-Leader that the security guard was a third-party worker, and not a Malibu Jack’s employee.

“I think his intent was customer safety first and that’s what he was trying to address,” Daniels said. “He obviously will not be working at Jack’s Sandbar anymore.”

“To Malibu Jacks, it is wrong, if y’all are training y’all security guards to jump on kids and beat them the way that that man was hitting and beating on my grandsons, that is totally wrong,” Maxberry said.

Maxberry is also the grandmother of Mykel Waide, an 18-year-old who was murdered in August 2020. Prior to the fight, Maxberry spoke to Fox 56 about Waide’s death and violence in Lexington, saying that young adults are using firearms to settle disputes her generation settled with words.

“They’re gonna get with their so-called groups and come after the parent’s house, the grandma’s house, they don’t care! They’re going to shoot up somebody’s house,” said Maxberry.

Daniels said the incident was unfortunate, but was thankful that no one was hurt. “We are reviewing, we have reviewed and continue to review our security policies, and are looking at ways to enhance the safety and security of our customers,” Daniels said. “We’ll probably have more security involved on the weekends especially.”