Asbury University unveils Walt and Rowena Shaw Collaborative Learning Center

During chapel, a name unveiling ceremony was held for Asbury University’s soon-to-be-completed newest building: the Walt and Rowena Collaborative Learning Center (CLC).

“I can think of no better couple to represent the vision of the CLC than Walt and Rowena Shaw,” Asbury Board of Trustees Chairman Larry Brown said during the announcement on Mar. 4, 2022.

After graduating from Asbury in 1963, the Shaws founded a successful lipid synthesis and manufacturing company which grew out of a rented 900 square foot garage into a 25-acre operation with FDA approval. The Shaws donated $10 million to the CLC’s construction, bringing the total cost of the endeavor to $26 million.

The Shaws were unable to attend the unveiling in person, but a video message from the couple was played during the ceremony.

“With blessings beyond anything we could imagine, our desire is to bless Asbury,” Rowena Shaw said. “It’s God’s money… and we wanted to have Asbury first in our donations. We believe in the mission of Asbury; we believe in their holiness stance in the community. This is the foundation of the future for our young people.”

“I am especially excited about the CLC because it is part of our vision for providing a rigorous, relevant 21st-century education for our students,” said Asbury President Dr. Kevin Brown. “I’ll venture to say that every undergraduate student will have classes and attend various functions in the building.”

The CLC will house the Dayton School of Business and the School of Science, Health and Mathematics. It will also serve as the new home for SEARCH, Asbury’s collaborative hub for research and creative projects.

The ceremony also included a virtual tour of the building’s interior, a standing ovation for the construction crews who worked on it, and a message from Dr. David Stevens.

The CLC’s construction is part of the Ignited Campaign, which has raised over $83 million from more than 450 donors. Aside from facilities, the Ignited Campaign is also intended to fund scholarships, athletics programs, community life programs, and more.

The new building is scheduled to open for classes for the fall 2022 semester. A dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony are scheduled for June 25, coinciding with Asbury’s Reunion.