Naval nuclear engineer pleads guilty to espionage

Naval nuclear engineer Jonathan Toebbe, 43, pleaded guilty to charges that he and his wife, Diana, conspired to share restricted data, violating the Atomic Energy Act, according to the Washington Post.

Toebbe has been in custody since October 2021 for sharing classified information with foreign countries.

While Toebbe’s plea has been made, there are is still questions about his wife’s involvement in the “conspiracy to communicate” act. However, it is believed that Toebbe was accompanied by his wife in at least three of the ‘dead drop,’ to share details with a foreign country. 

According to the authorities, the couple worked together the whole time based on evidential claims. Their mission has been under investigation for quite some time. 

Around December 2020, an FBI official was sent a package containing documentation of the U.S. Navy’s content and instructions for encrypted communication. With this evidence, the FBI began digging and posing as foreign officers to communicate with Jonathan. On his last ‘dead drop,’ agents noticed his wife assisting him as a “lookout.” 

The Toebbes were later taken into custody after an agent identified that they were the suspects. Now with Jonathan’s plea, authorities are just waiting for Diana to speak on her behalf.