Photo Credits: Courier Journal

Gov. Beshear announces ambitious budget proposals

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear unveiled sweeping budget proposals on Jan. 13, with a general focus on bolstering the state’s competitiveness. The proposals call for increased spending toward economic development, social services, and education.

Among the proposals was a reiteration of Beshear’s statement from Jan. 10, when the governor pledged to spend a record $2 billion toward pre-K through 12th grade education. 

“It is more than affordable. It is something we must do,” Beshear told the Lexington Herald Leader. “We are not burdening our schools with an unfunded mandate.”

With this grant, universal preschool and kindergarten would be fully funded for the next two years. Beshear also proposed a 16.9% increase in funding for the Support Education Excellence in Kentucky (SEEK) program, which provides K-12 schools with everything from transportation to special needs support.

The education spending seeks to benefit school faculty as well, with a minimum 5% salary increase with no health insurance premium increase. It will be the first time such an increase has been implemented since 2008, according to Beshear. Kentucky teachers will also have access to a student loan forgiveness program for up to $3000 annually for five years.

Other crucial state jobs would receive pay increases, with a 5% salary increase across the board for state workers. A further $15,000 salary increase will go toward Kentucky State Police troopers, and an $8,000 increase toward dispatchers.

Regarding economic development, Beshear proposed a general focus on tourism. $200 million will go toward maintenance and repair for Kentucky’s state parks. $250 million will go toward infrastructure projects, including two new bridges connecting Kentucky to Ohio across the Ohio River: one for western Kentucky, one for northern Kentucky. The governor also outlined a $75 million plan for an agricultural research and development center for eastern Kentucky. 

Overall, Beshear’s goal is to “forever change the trajectory” of Kentucky, while balancing fiscal responsibility with affordable investments.

“It is a values statement, a chance to seize opportunity, a chance to meet this historic moment,”  Beshear said in his budget speech. “A chance not just to tread water but to lead. My budget is titled ‘Our Future is Now’ because now is when we must make bold investments. Now is our chance to move this state forward — not right, not left but forward.”