Photo Credit: Lexington Herald

Fayette County school district adjusts COVID-19 protocols

Under new state health guidelines released Jan. 18, Kentucky school districts that require universal masking will no longer require contact tracing and quarantining for individuals exposed to COVID-19. Fayette County is among the school districts changing policy per the new guidelines.

“That will reduce the number of school students and staff miss because of COVID,” Fayette County Superintendent Demetrius Liggins told families in a video message detailing the changes on Jan. 18. Liggins also said that there are no immediate plans to return to virtual learning and that he would not keep schools open if he felt it was unsafe.

However, he assured families that he was willing to return to virtual learning if necessary. “I’m completely committed should there be a need to close schools for the safety and well-being of our students.” Virtual learning would still be implemented in the event of a district-wide outbreak or unmanageable staff absences.

In addition to the mask requirement, the district will still encourage hand washing, social distancing, and vaccinations to ensure the lowest possible spread. Voluntary testing will be available for students and faculty every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday before classes begin.

Although quarantines are no longer required, schools will still send notifications of positive cases to staff and families. Health department officials will also continue to issue isolation requirements for positive tests, which the school district intends to enforce. District officials will continue to review COVID-19 case data every morning and evening to inform when a response or policy change is required.