Women’s soccer recognizes seniors in a win against Berea

The Asbury Eagles’ women’s soccer team celebrated its graduating players by beating Berea College 2-1. On Wednesday, Sept. 29, women’s soccer recognized seniors Delaney Long, Ashley Miller, Amber McIntosh, Elizabeth Sparks, Janelle Suvimolstean, Olivia Ruckriegel, and Natalie Nicholas.

Before the game, the senior girls and their families celebrated on their home field. The group also gathered together for a photo. 

Within the first two minutes of the game, Amber McIntosh scored the first goal.  Shortly afterward, Elizabeth Sparks scored the second goal for the Eagles. The score remained 2-0 for the rest of the first half and most of the second. Berea scored its first and only goal during the game’s closing minutes, ending the match 2-1. 

“We have been working on a couple of key things in practices and finally connected the dots in the game the other night,” said Sparks. “We got on the scoreboard early with two goals but needed to finish more chances that we had.”

While Asbury led in shots and shots on goal, the night’s focus remained on the seniors. They reflected on their memories with the team and how being on the soccer team impacted their college lives. From the friends they made, now basically family, to the moments when they  pushed themselves to become better players, the seniors intend to carry these experiences with them even after graduating from Asbury.

“I’m excited to finish my last season strong in competitive play,” Sparks said. “I’m also excited to grow in my relationships with my teammates and friends, so I can pursue those even after I leave the team.”

The Lady Eagles’ next five games will take them to Ohio and Georgia. The next home game will be Oct. 28 against Campbellsville-Harrodsburg.