Voice of the Prairie comes to the Greathouse Theatre

A new drama is coming to Greathouse Theatre in the Miller Center: Voice of the Prairie. The play is directed by Carol Anderson and written by John Olive. 

“It’s an adventure-filled story about living life fully alive,” Anderson said. In her words, Voice of the Prairie is about two runaways who find each other and grapple with love, adventure and loss as they ride a train through the Midwest in the turn of the century. 

Each of the main characters, Davie and Frankie suffers from some personal struggle. Frankie, a blind girl, runs away with Davie to escape her abusive father while Davie runs away as an orphan. When grown, Davie realizes he has picked up his grandfather’s knack for storytelling, so he begins to tell his stories of his journey alongside Frankie. 

In doing so, Davie begins to grow in celebrity, but his real reason for sharing his stories is to see if he can find a girl he once lost, which begins to unfold in Act II. 

“[The story] takes hold of: How do you not live in the past, but how do you just take the challenges of the present and live through them into a new future,” Anderson said.

Some of the students behind the lead roles are Carissa Clark (young Frankie), Jean-Pierre Pantoja (young Davie), Brandon Patoja (adult Davie), Ella Anderson (adult Frankie) and Samuel Kiesling (Leon). Chris Dietrich, the new tech director, designed and built a lot of the set with the help of students and volunteers. He also designed the lighting. The stage manager, Virginia Hutton, is a newly graduated media communications master student. 

Samuel Kiesling is the only senior participant of the performance this year. “I hope the show brings about a lively, heart-warming experience for both those working in the show and for those who come to see it,” Kiesling said. “The encouragement and warm-hearted friendliness of every member of Voice of the Prairie has made this one of the best shows I’ve ever been a part of. I hope that the audience will see on stage the result of all the life that’s been present offstage.”

Ella Anderson has been a part of 12 productions through middle and high school, so she is no stranger to performing. She believes the most important audience member is the Lord, and when doing one’s best for Him, it can still be an act of worship. 

Playing a visually impaired character (Frankie) has been an interesting challenge for Anderson. “Overall, it has been a pretty good experience,” Anderson said. “I’ve learned a lot at every rehearsal while being in this play. There have been some long hours, but it has definitely been worth it.” 

Anderson and cast hope Asbury students will be eager to come see Voice of the Prairie. Anderson said, “Come and get lost in the story and be able to cheer on some young artists who are growing.” 

There will be showings on Oct. 28-30 and Nov. 4-6 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $6 for students, faculty/staff and seniors. General admission is $12. Tickets may be reserved at asbury.edu/theatre or via QR code located on posters around campus