RD Series: Haley Weaver

For Aldersgate Resident Director Haley Weaver, community and fellowship extends to the whole of the students. 

“As an RD, I am given a unique opportunity to play a role in the formation of students, be it spiritually, relationally, in their leadership, etc,” she stated.

Weaver said that this is the best and most rewarding part of her job because they have the opportunity to “do life together.” Another aspect of doing life together is her involvement with the other students on campus through several different ministries. Aside from being an RD, Weaver is also the assistant chaplain for worship, where she is able to work with a core team of Worship Arts students. 

“This has been a meaningful part of my role,” she said, “and I love how it has connected me to other students on campus.”

But her involvement does not stop there. Alongside those two roles, she has also helped facilitate Alpha every week at the OMS student center. 

“Alpha is a weekly group that meets to talk about life and faith,” she said. “There is also chapel credit available.”

Alpha has played a major role in Weaver’s spiritual journey.

“I will be the first to say that I do not have faith in God all figured out,” she said. “Alpha has been a meaningful part of my journey as a Christian and creates a lot of space for my friends who do not identify as Christians to come and explore the Christian faith in an open environment.”

Weaver said she loves being a part of a group that can speak honestly about faith and doubts and “can’t think of another thing I would rather do with my Wednesday evenings.”

That sense of community and openness is what drew Weaver to become an RD at Asbury. Although she did not receive her undergraduate degree from Asbury, she did get a Master’s of Divinity at the seminary. 

“With such a rich history and meaningful identity, I could have felt left out, or like I didn’t belong, but that was never the case,” she said. “I sometimes forget that I was never a student here.”

Weaver stated that the invitation to be a part of Asbury’s community is open to everyone. “You just have to say yes and be willing to engage your whole self.”

Part of engaging with the community around you is about practicing curiosity, Weaver said. For instance, she recently turned 29 in February and plans on running a half marathon before she turns 30. 

Weaver states that being curious about people and engaging in conversation with people is a cornerstone to building community and growing in life. 

“Show interest in them by asking questions about their life, and engaging with them about more than what you saw on their social media account,” she said. “Conversationalism is a dying art, so help to revive it!”