Men’s soccer team celebrates Seniors despite loss

The men’s soccer team lost to Oakland City 3-0 on senior day. On Oct. 16, the Eagles honored members of the Faithful Class of ‘22. 

Before the game, 10 seniors joined their families: Dwayne Zapata, Andreas Hegseth, Zane Isaacs, Trey Miller, Zach Robbins, Dao Nhan Tran, Hugo Manjarrez, Teni Onitiri, Marlon Henriquez, and manager Khalil Akiky.  

At the start of the game, Oakland City scored an early goal within the first two minutes. Nevertheless, the Eagles fought hard and played aggressively until the end. 

Despite the loss, there was still room for the seniors to reflect on the last four years and how it has or will impact their lives. 

“Playing at this level is challenging and it can be more challenging if you’re not confident,” said Manjarrez. “As a player, you will make mistakes but don’t let those mistakes affect your confidence.”

Manjarrez added that the brotherhood on the team is unmatched. “Not only are you a part of a team but a family as well, “ said Manjarrez. “A family that you can count on when you need clarification, wisdom, or guidance.”

As the soccer season draws to a close, seniors like Manjarrez look forward to supporting one another and the rest of the team as they play their final games. 

“Since I’m injured, I’m looking forward to seeing the guys play the rest of the season,” said Manjarrez. “I may not be playing or practicing, but that won’t stop me from supporting my brothers. I wish them the best of luck.”

The next game for the men will be at home on Tuesday, Oct. 26 against Midway University, kickoff starting at 7 p.m.