Men’s soccer game ends in a draw with Methodist

The Asbury men’s soccer team played its first draw of the season against NCAA DIII team Methodist University. The team traveled to Fayetteville, North Carolina for a game that eventually went into double overtime, only to end in a final score of 0-0. 

“I definitely did not think that we were going to go into double overtime,” said freshman Nick Clark. “And I think we handled the overtime well and brought the intensity to the game.” 

The Eagles showed promise and grit with multiple soccer players collectively contributing offensively and defensively. The team led in shots on goal compared to Methodist. 

Though the game didn’t end in a loss, there was disappointment in how the game turned out and a hope in what could be better in the future.. 

“We definitely should have won the game and couldn’t capitalize when we needed to,” said Clark. “But we defended well and did not concede a goal.”

Ultimately, the Eagles fought until the very end of a long and demanding game, which lasted 2 hours and 29 minutes.  

These past couple of weeks, the men’s soccer has faced postponements and rescheduled games due to the weather. On Monday, September 20, a game originally scheduled for the Saturday before, the Eagles lost to St. Mary-Woods with a score of 2-1. The game against Midway that was scheduled for Thursday, September 23 is also postponed for the time being. 

However, on Tuesday, September 28 they faced Covenant College on Eagles’ home territory. With a final score of 0-3, the Eagles lost despite leading the way with 13 saves. 

The men will compete in an alumni game at the Luce Center tomorrow, Oct. 2 at 11 a.m.