Volleyball secures first win after suspenseful five sets

The Asbury Eagles volleyball team won its first match of the season on the road to Kentucky Christian Academy. The Eagles won the intense match in five sets 3-2 on Sept. 18. 

The Eagles lost the first set, but took back the next two, with the third by a score of 25-7. In a tight battle between the two teams, KCA won the fourth set. In the final set, the Asbury Eagles rallied together and pulled through, winning the set 15-9. 

It was a well-deserved and hard-earned first win. 

Because it was such a close game, the Lady Eagles had to come together as a team in order to ensure that the momentum would continue. 

Bekah Deich, a junior who plays as a defensive specialist and even played libero on Saturday, said the game was very exciting and showed that their team had an “edge.” 

“[The game] was really tight the whole time which was exciting, but we’d seen that before with other games,” said Deich. “So it was just so rewarding to finally push through and take that the full way.”

The Eagles led in blocks, which helped defensively in securing the lead. Offensively, the team’s hitters, some of the freshmen, had an impact on the match.

During practices leading up to the game, the coaches introduced new drills and exercises that focused on strengthening the players’ ability to read spikes and react quickly to the other team’s offensive plays. 

Looking forward, because the team has become part of the NCAA, the team is anticipating what their tournament is going to look like.

“We’re really excited for it, just to compete and have an edge,” said Deich. “But also just [to] continue to build these relationships [with the team].” 

The JV volleyball team also won their game against Kentucky Christian Academy, making this weekend an exciting and rewarding set of matches for the women’s volleyball team.