Oscars 2021 Predictions

The Oscars are finally here after a two-month delay due to COVID, and this year’s lineup seems to be one for the ages. The diversity of the cast and crew are astounding, and the diversity of stories lined up here are historical as well. With such strong contenders, it is going to be difficult to tell who will come out on top in some categories, but here are my predictions for five major categories this year:

Best Picture: “Nomadland”

This prediction will come as no surprise to anyone keeping up with this year’s awards season. “Nomadland” is sweeping the awards shows; almost all of the places it has been nominated for Best Picture, it has won, including the Gotham Independent Film Awards, the BAFTAs, the Critics’ Choice Awards, the SAGs and the Golden Globes. It is well deserving of Best Picture, and I think it is a shoe-in for the category.

Best Director: Chloé Zhao, “Nomadland”

Along with sweeping Best Picture in many places, Zhao seems to be sweeping the Best Director categories as well. The main indicator of her winning this category is her win at the Critics’ Choice Awards, where the wins are fairly accurate predictors of what will go on to win the Oscars. I think this is deserving as well because it is such a beautifully crafted and performed movie.

Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”

This nomination has come into contention recently because people are accusing the Academy of simply choosing him because he died this past year. Not only is this insensitive and rude, but it is also outright wrong. Boseman gave one of the best performances of his career as the musician Levee Green in “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” and discrediting his work because of his death is beyond wrong. Although, out of the nominations, I think that Anthony Hopkins is most deserving of this award, I think Boseman definitely earned his place among the nominees and I would be glad to see him win the award, albeit posthumously.

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan, “Promising Young Woman”

The Best Actress category is unusually open this year, with each award show going in different directions with their choices. However, using the Critics’ Choice as an indicator, Carey Mulligan might take the award for her performance as Cassie Thomas, the titular “Promising Young Woman.” I think this is a deserving win; the nuance and pure elemental force put into this character really bring the script to life.

Best Cinematography: Joshua James Richards, “Nomadland”

Richards won Best Cinematography at both the BAFTAs and the Critics’ Choice Awards, so it is safe to say he will probably win here as well. The movie is beautifully shot, with its expansive landscapes and intimate close-ups both getting an equal amount of care.