Learning to accept love

February, the home of Valentine’s Day, is the time we focus on love. Giving and receiving romantic, platonic and familial love is the topic of conversation throughout the second month of the year.

Love comes to the forefront during February, but it should be a prominent topic year round. 

I have found that many people don’t have difficulty giving love; the problem is receiving it. The journey of learning how to receive love is a very personal and current struggle for me. I can speak from my own experience and give advice on how you can receive love well.

It’s easy to close yourself off. I think a common problem for many people is that they don’t have much self worth, so they create barriers because they feel like they are not deserving of love. It is much easier said than done, but remind yourself that you are worthy of love; no matter what you’ve done or who you are, you deserve to be cared for. 

You should also set yourself up for success. Surround yourself with people who treat you in a way that makes you happy. Relationships should make you feel good – if a relationship with someone is causing you harm, stress or anxiety, it isn’t a relationship you should be in. Acquaint yourself with people who care for you and support you to the best of their ability.  It isn’t just a one-way street – you should also give the same care back to the other people in your life that you expect to be given to you.

I have found that another important aspect to loving and being loved well is understanding your love languages. There are many books and quizzes on this topic that can help you to better understand yourself. Learning how you need to be loved, then sharing this information with people nearest to you, will lead to more fulfilling relationships. 

Knowing your love language will also allow you to better love yourself. Being loved by others is something that every person needs and deserves, but it is also extremely important to care for and respect yourself. Relying on others for love won’t be satisfying. Also, when you treat yourself with love and respect other people will do the same.

Learning how to receive and accept love well will change your life for the better. The process of learning and growing can be difficult and uncomfortable, so also give yourself grace in this situation.