Finding internships during the pandemic is a challenge

College years are full of small transitions from breaks to new semesters again and again. However, as with most everything else in our lives, the coronavirus pandemic has interrupted some of these familiar cycles. We just completed a week of classes during the time we would normally be welcoming an extended break during the semester. 

When the pandemic began last spring, scientists were scrambling to gather new information about this novel coronavirus in order to be able to accurately release safety guidelines for the public. Since then, many of the best minds in the world have collaborated on large scale research projects and now many more details are known regarding how COVID works and therefore the best ways to limit transmission. 

In the spring of 2020, many companies and organizations decided to halt their summer internships altogether as they focused their energy on figuring out how to allow their employees to work from home. Now, in 2021, as the percentage of the population who have received at least one dose of the vaccine nears 20%, according to NPR as of Tuesday, many companies are offering new options in terms of professional development opportunities for students.

One of these options that has been growing in popularity is internships offered remotely. While at first this may seem like a disadvantage, there are many unique opportunities that come with remote internships. If you are planning on working in a field in which most of your work can be done remotely, you won’t be losing out on any technical training as many of the top professionals in your field have also been working from home during this time. 

In addition, remote internships also increase accessibility for many students. Fully remote internships allow students work for companies outside of their geographic area without incurring the cost that comes with rising urban rent prices.

Just remember if you’re set on doing an internship this summer look early and apply often! Talking to your academic advisor can also be helpful as they may be aware of connections with department alumni that could lead to further opportunities. There are still opportunities, whether they are remote or in person, as over time we have learned to adjust our daily activities to be safe during the pandemic.