Asbury basketball season ends

Asbury basketball ended in heartbreaking fashion for both the men’s and women’s teams, though the head coaches for each can now reflect on successful seasons.

The women’s program ended with a record at 14-6, losing at the buzzer against West Virginia Tech in the semifinals of the River States Conference tournament. The Lady Eagles were short handed with only 6 players in the tournament due to COVID quarantine. Those same six players defeated Oakland City in the conference semifinals. 

“All of that with only 6 players for the last 2 games, so that just shows the heart of the entire team. I couldn’t be more proud of this group of ladies,” said head coach Chad Mayes.

The men’s program ended its season with a 15-6 record with a strong showing in the conference tournament, beating Ohio Christian University and falling one-point short against Point Park in the second round.

“The group of guys had tremendous work ethic, attitudes and a will to win,” said men’s head coach Will Shouse. 

The distraction of COVID created some roadblocks for each program this year, as each was forced into quarantine and different points in the season. 

“We try to prepare from the first day of any season to not make excuses or allow things to disrupt what we are doing mentally,” said Mayes. 

“We had one ‘pause’; and it took us a while to get going again once we returned. Two of our losses were right after we returned,” said Shouse, whose team spent 10 days in quarantine earlier in the season.

The women’s program is losing three seniors but returning a now experienced group back for next season.

“We lose three tremendous seniors in Autumn, Kelsey and Sarah King, but our core returners have a ton of experience and are more than capable of carrying on what those have started here over these past four years,” said Mayes.

The men’s program is also losing three seniors but returning core players and adding two transfers. 

“I’m looking to build off the success we had this year. I’m excited to see who takes their game to the next level,” said Shouse.