Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeat Kansas City Chiefs

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 31-9 last Sunday in the Super Bowl LV.

Tom Brady, the quarterback for Tampa Bay, led the team to its second and his seventh Super Bowl victory. 

“Brady’s Super Bowl title — coming at age 43 and in his first season with the Buccaneers — joins the six he won as a member of the New England Patriots (2002, 2003, 2005, 2015, 2017, 2018). He now has one more win than both the Patriots and the Pittsburgh Steelers, the two most decorated franchises in N.F.L. history,” The New York Times reported. 

Stands are normally full of fans during the Super Bowl, but this year, many seats were empty.

“Due to the virus, only 25,000 mask-wearing fans attended, including approximately 7,500 vaccinated health care workers given free tickets by the NFL,” CBS Sports reported. “About 30,000 cardboard cutouts made the stadium look full.”

At the beginning of the game, it looked promising for the Chiefs. In the first quarter, the team took the lead with a 49-yard field goal. 

The game quickly took a turn in the Buccaneers’ favor when Rob Gronkowski caught the first touchdown of the game with 37 seconds left in the first quarter. 

“This was the 13th touchdown Brady and Gronk have connected for in the playoffs, making them the most prolific postseason passing duo in NFL history. (They added a 14th touchdown later in the first half.),” CBS Sports reported. “It was also somehow the first first-quarter touchdown pass of Brady’s Super Bowl career.”

The Chiefs made three field goals over the duration of the game, totaling nine points. The Buccaneers scored four touchdowns as well as a field goal, totaling 31 points. 

With Brady’s assistance, the Buccaneers were able to break a streak of losses.

“After 20 seasons in New England, Brady signed a $50 million, two-year contract with Tampa in March,” CBS Sports reported. “The Buccaneers hadn’t reached the playoffs since 2007 and hadn’t won a postseason game since the 2002 title season.”