Enjoying your snow day

Winter is in full-swing. Unlike the rarer, milder snow days during the fall semester, spring semester snow days turn into blizzards and, occasionally, ice storms, leaving classes cancelled (unless, thanks to Zoom, your class is still meeting online). On days like this, unless you have a heavy car with four-wheel drive, you won’t be going anywhere while the roads are covered in thick sheets of ice and snow. So, what do you do with your day off? I’ve got some suggestions for you.

Plan ahead:

This is your first step to enjoying a snow day! If you know there’s an imminent snowstorm, stock up on whatever you need. For some, that’s coffee, for others, it’s snacks and still others, it’s necessities like toothpaste and toilet paper. Go as soon as you can, since stores sell out of basics quickly.

Take some time for yourself:

These are days when you’re able to take a step back from your responsibilities and take some time out. Read your Bible, do a face mask, go for a run, FaceTime a friend from back home — do something for yourself on days like this. It’s rare to get a whole day off.

Plan a game night:

Stuck inside for the night? Grab some games (there are even some apps you can get!), put some cookies in the oven and do a roomie/hallmate game night! Whether you’ve got just one roommate or seven buddies, you can make the most of being stuck inside together while taking a break from homework.

Work ahead:

Stressed over homework? Got lots of projects due? Work ahead in some of your classes! This may not be the most fun suggestion on the list, but it’ll make you feel productive and ease some stress from your life.

Get outside:

If you’re a cold-weather person, this is the perfect time for a snowy walk (or a snowball fight — you choose). Take some fun pictures of the nature you’re surrounded by and enjoy the beauty around you.

No matter what you’re doing on your snow days, stay safe and warm! Remember to take some time out for yourself and enjoy the days you have off.