Asbury women’s basketball preview

Winter sports have come and that means it’s basketball season here at Asbury. 

The Lady Eagles are 1-1 with a loss to University of the Cumberlands and a win over Southeastern University.

“I feel very good about this year’s team because of the returning experience we have,” coach Chad Mayes said.

With a more experienced group this year, Mayes said his team is able to adapt to just about anything, including COVID-related schedule changes.

“We have had 6 a.m. practices, 4 p.m. practices and every other time you can imagine.” Mayes doesn’t allow inconveniences to become excuses for the Eagles.

Getting better each and every game is the goal for Mayes. “If we do that by the end of the season, we should have a good chance of playing well in the conference tournament and possibly making the national tournament,” he said.

The Eagles have some new additions including freshmen Trinity Shearer, Kayla Harlow, Paige Taylor, Abby Harris and Spencer Harvey. 

Due to the ongoing pandemic, Mayes has had to schedule and reschedule many games already this year. Mayes hopes his team’s mental toughness will keep the team on track.

The Eagles’ next game is tonight against Taylor University in Marion, Indiana.