Asbury University announces changes to spring semester schedule

Due to COVID-19’s impact on Asbury University’s students and faculty, Asbury has made minor changes to the spring semester’s schedule.

“We will continue to navigate the modifications demanded by the pandemic while fulfilling our commitment to creating a safe and productive learning, living, and work environment for the AU community,” said the university’s provost Timothy Wooster.

Students were notified of the changes via email on Oct. 28. The information included news of the semester’s start and end date, the continuation of HyFlex and the addition of periodic Eagle Days.

The spring semester start date of Jan. 11 will remain in place. The end of the semester, however, will end a week early on Apr. 29 after finals conclude.

As of now, classes, campus activities and student residence will remain on-campus due to the minimal outbreak of coronavirus cases during the fall’s semester.

Asbury, in the spring, will continue using its HyFlex system which will incorporate classes both in-person and on Zoom. This system allows a safe academic continuation for students that have been exposed to COVID-19 and are asked to quarantine or isolate themselves for an allotted amount of time.

The release also informed the students and faculty that there will be no spring break during the 2021 semester. To make up for the cancelled spring break, students and faculty now have Eagle Days. These days are scattered throughout the semester and offer students a day off from their scheduled classes. 

“Community-building, rejuvenation, and to keep pace academically,” said Wooster regarding the student benefits of Eagle Days. “Eagle Days are for the health and wellness of the community.”

Campus offices and faculty office hours will still be provided on the days off for students, and Eagle Days will remain as regular work days for the university faculty.

Kendall Jablonowski, a senior at Asbury, expressed indifference toward Eagle Days. “My days off will be spent doing homework. I think most students will be doing homework on their days off also, which doesn’t really give students a chance to have time off.”

Asbury University has designed these schedule changes to combat the limitations presented by the pandemic and to prevent decline of the community’s well-being.