Amy Coney Barrett confirmed as Supreme Court justice

On the morning of Oct. 27, President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett was officially sworn into a life-long appointment as a U.S. Supreme Court justice.

The Republican president has succeeded in confirming Barrett merely a week before the presidential election. 

Widely known for her affiliation with conservative ideals and her Catholic faith, the 48-year-old has secured her spot as the 115th justice by a Senate vote of 52 to 48. 

Trump had reportedly said in the past that he was “saving” Barrett for an open vacancy on the court, should elderly Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg die or retire.

Replacing the liberal Ginsburg, Barrett will prove to be a reliable vote on the right of the court when discussing various issues such as abortion, the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and immigration.

Trump remarked at the justice’s swearing-in ceremony that “she will make an outstanding justice on the highest court in our land,” and that Barrett will “issue rulings based solely upon a faithful reading of the law and the Constitution as written.”

Prior to her seat confirmation, Barrett practiced law and taught at Notre Dame Law School in South Bend, Indiana. She is married to Jesse Barrett, a former prosecutor, and has 7 children, one diagnosed with autism and two adopted from Haiti. 

Barrett is the first Supreme Court justice to be a mother of school-age children and children that have developmental disorders. 

She previously served on the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago.

Critics are disturbed by Barrett’s confirmation due, in part, to her affiliation with three Christian schools that barred admission of children with same-sex parents and dismissed teachers who identified with LGBTQ during her time on the board.

Barrett apologized for any taken offense and said that she had “no particular agenda.” She currently claims that her religion will not intersect with her duties as a Supreme Court justice.