The Caf Chronicles: Gluten and dairy-free options

Ever wondered what options you have at the cafeteria? Need to be gluten or dairy free? Food Service Director Tina Miller informs the Asbury study body about what is offered, and how to navigate the menu if you have food allergies and restrictions. 

“We have gluten-free and dairy-free options at all meals, including the STUCE Kiosk,” said Miller. “We prepare meals for over one thousand every day and try to encompass everyone as much as possible.”

Miller and the cafeteria staff have in recent years been expanding the options they already offer.

“We have already made changes based on constructive student comment cards and surveys. One example is our margarine is now dairy-free,” said Miller. “Another was changing bulk rice crisp cereal from a brand name that contained gluten to the ones we use now that are gluten-free.”

Feel like none of the cafeteria options fit your dietary needs? Miller noted that there are options available upon request. 

“We have to focus on the big picture which is why we are always happy to assist students that have challenges,” said Miller. “Also, if a weekend line is a pasta bar, we have gluten-free pasta we can heat by request and always make sure there is gluten-free chicken along with marinara. We don’t want the only gluten-free option to be a salad.” 

Miller added that all cooks understand the safety measures to be taken to ensure that contamination of gluten-free food isn’t an issue. 

“All of our cooks are food safety certified annually and there is also a monthly food safety training in which allergen issues are included,” said Miller. “The cooks understand they must wash hands and change gloves when changing products or tasks.”

For students that need to discuss their dietary restrictions, Miller provided a point of contact. 

“If you are struggling with dietary restrictions and need help, please reach out to me at diningservices@asbury.edu and I am always eager to meet with students and assist them with their food service needs,” said Miller. “That’s what we are here for and what we have been called to do!”