Coronavirus Sports Climate: Baseball

This pandemic has done nothing to deter the Asbury baseball team from sticking to its routine. 

“There is still a conference title and a national title on the line, so we have not skipped a beat,” said sophomore Nick Mackle. “The messing around has dwindled just because we must be careful on maintaining social distancing and keeping our masks on.”

Memories of last season getting cut so abruptly linger as a future possibility still for these players. Mackle touched on how the rules and mandates are being followed closely by the men’s baseball team to continue on the trajectory of last season.

“Last year was hard to cut short just because we were on a roll and feeling dangerous.” said Mackle. “I am just excited [for] what this next season has in [store] for us. We are very close, and all determined to go far into the postseason, so I know we will follow any restrictions or corona rules for us to be able to compete.”

Graduate student Colton Back is back after his senior season got cut short.

“The end of last season came so abruptly that I felt like my baseball family was stripped away from me at such an unexpected time,” said Back. “That was extremely difficult but getting to be back on campus and be with this new team has been such a blessing … Getting on the baseball field with this team has been such a freeing feeling after the quarantine period, and so much time of not getting to be with the people you care about so much.”

Although COVID-19 has limited the physical closeness of people, the baseball team is as close as ever.

Team Bible study and church are activities through which the team grows off the field. Both Back and Mackle said that the relationships with teammates is their favorite part about being on this team. Back said that coronavirus has kept meetings and activities outside of practices limited. 

Looking toward competition in the spring, the team has opponents lined up and a schedule made, but nothing is for sure until the spring arrives. But this fall has been pretty smooth for the off-season.

“We have not been able to play any outside teams, but we usually don’t do that anyways during the fall because it is our off-season,” said Back. “We actually have been able to practice and do everything that we normally do.”

The baseball team is ready to work and deal with whatever challenges are thrown at them this season. Back and Mackle touched on the “last game” mentality that COVID-19 has brought to the forefront of all their minds. 

“Honestly I think it has lifted our drive to compete and work hard and make the most out of every single opportunity,” said Back. “We see now how fast it can be taken away from us; no day is guaranteed to us. We are not going to go through the motions with this season, we are giving it everything we have to honor God and win a championship.”