Civil discourse in a climate of rage

We are in the midst of an election year and evidence is everywhere. In recent years, political polarization has seen an all-time high. This election cycle, aggressive advertisements warning against the damage the opposing candidate will supposedly cause are broadcast all over our devices. Increasingly the conversation revolves around voting against candidates from the other side rather for candidates with compelling policy proposals. 

In this social climate, it can be difficult for some people to even consider becoming involved in politics. The conversations often do not feel fruitful and many people seem only interested in disproving others rather than listening to their perspective. This has been exasperated by the tendency for people to remain in their own echo chambers, isolating themselves from interactions with people of opposing viewpoints.

On Oct. 15, the Joe Pitts Center for Public Policy held a campus event to address the crux of this very issue. The event was advertised via email as a space to “provide an opportunity for members of the Asbury community to talk together about how to have engaging, thoughtful, civil debate with those of different viewpoints.”

The evening programming included a video discussion between Robert George of Princeton University and Cornel West of Harvard University. These two professors have viewpoints from opposite ends of the political spectrum, but they have made themselves notable by conversing about controversial matters in a civil manner.

After the video portion, a panel of Asbury faculty members further discussed their own experiences with the topic. An idea that continued to be reiterated by multiple professors came down to the fundamental components of listening. 

“Genuine listening requires surrendering your own agenda,” said Margaret Park Smith, a professor from the Art and Design Department. 

These tips encouraged students and faculty members alike to approach civic conversations with a Christlike posture. This included keeping the fundamental dignity of the other person in mind during all exchanges.

More events are in the works to continue this conversation into next semester. The Pitts Center continues to grow as the student body actively participates in these conversations.