Tumbling into a new year

On Aug. 24, 25, and 27, the tumbling team had tryouts for the 2020-2021 year. 

The team began to get the word out about tryouts during the activities fair on Aug. 20.

“It starts at the activities fair, that’s our chance to make an impression and gather people closer to us, and once they come we try and encourage them to try things and even if they can do stuff or if they’re flopping themselves on a tramp, that’s completely alright,” junior James Cook said.  “It gives us a chance for us to get to know them and get a chance to try things out and then the following week we have tryouts at our normal practice hours.”

Students who tried out were encouraged to come to every tryout day so that they can learn and grow throughout the week. 

“We start with simple rolls, the stunting, the basing, and lead it to a tramp,” Cook said. “We had 3 tryout days and we like them to come to each one of them and then each day they open up more and more as we talk to them and get to know them.”

There were not many differences or changes in the tumbling tryout dynamic this year. 

“The only difference this year is our team is 80% boys, but COVID didn’t affect too much besides wearing masks,” Cook said. 

The team is not just about stunts and tumbling, but it is also about spreading God’s love to others.

“We also have an interview process. Since we’re mainly a missionary team, the tumbling is what gets us into the schools, and to have an audience. That’s our way to figure out who you are and your faith,” Cook said. “A lot of people say the team is mainly about what you can do with your body but it’s not. It’s more about what you can show and give to other people.”

As a signed recruit for the tumbling team, freshman Addie Evers was not sure what tryouts would be like.

“I felt like I still had something to prove, even though I had a jersey and I was already on the team, I needed to prove why I was here,” Evers said. “There was a lot of hesitancy and I didn’t know what to expect.”

During the tryouts, new and old members were able to bond and grow new relationships with one another.

“Being on the team for 3 years, I usually try to go up to people and try to talk to them and get to know them,” Cook said. “A lot of newbies had a desire to learn, and they would come up to us and talk and that always makes me really happy. “

The team was very welcoming.

“The whole atmosphere of the other teammates was amazing. They wanted you to be there and they wanted you to be on their team,” Evers said. “It wasn’t clique-ish or anything they were like, ‘Let’s go for it.’ They encouraged you to try new skills. If you were hesitant they would be there for you.”